Well, we finally have a new trailer for the upcoming film that pits two comic book legends on the same screen (well, three with Wonder Woman, or four if we count the yet-unseen in action Aquaman), “Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.” And it certainly delivers a little more insight as to what the hell this film will be in terms of tone and visuals (and a little more on the plot).
My observations from the trailer:
- Why is everyone still fooled by Superman’s old “put on glasses and change the hair around” Clark Kent disguise?
- Bruce Wayne’s first encounter with Clark Kent is basically giving him passive aggressive crap about his newspaper’s handling of Superman coverage (reporters generally do not write editorials, so that comment at Clark was odd at best) after a fairly innocent question asking about the bat vigilante in Gotham.
- Lex Luthor looks like the bastard child of Kurt Cobain and Ronald McDonald.
- We finally see a new villain for the film,
a Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtleDoomsday. Doomsday famously killed Superman in the comics in 1992.
- I actually find Affleck’s “Batman voice” better than Christian Bale’s Batman/Tom Waits voice.
- Wonder Woman saves Batman and Superman at the end, and it was nice seeing her in action.
- Batman seems to swear in the film. I’m OK with this.
- The fight scenes we see between Superman and Batman look pretty good, and are heavily influenced by Frank Miller’s “Dark Knight Returns,” especially Batman’s suit.
- Nice Joker reference by Bruce.
- I really want to like this movie when it comes out, but it feels like it has way too much going on. I hope this is not the case.