If you love terrible music, well the “Ghostbusters” reboot has you covered. Because the powers that be have recruited Fall Out Boy, a band that has not been relevant for more than a decade, and Missy Elliott, whom I feel sorry for being associated with this hot mess of garbage because she is incredibly talented, to cover the classic theme song by Ray Parker Jr. to “Ghostbusters” for the new reboot. Apparently whomever thought this up is trapped in the grating sounds of the early aughts pop punk scene, and is probably sporting a Hurley T-shirt and a backward cap.
Now that I assume you have brushed your teeth after slightly vomiting in your own mouth from hearing that track, I need to rant a little.
I am trying to give this reboot the benefit of the doubt. I even wrote a longish column about how we, as fans, need to calm down with the rage-fueled rants regarding this film (because it really has gotten ugly).
Then they drop this steaming turd on us.
It is like they are going out of their way to make people hate this project. And every positive step forward, they take giant regressive steps back.
Not only that, but the whole soundtrack (minus Parker Jr.’s original take on the song) looks mind boggling awful. This tracklist comes from Consequence of Sound.
1. WALK THE MOON – “Ghostbusters”
2. G-Eazy X Jeremih – “Saw It Coming”
3. Elle King – “Good Girls”
4. 5 Seconds Of Summer – “Girls Talk Boys”
5 ZAYN – “wHo”*
6. Pentatonix – “Ghostbusters”*
7. Wolf Alice – “Ghoster”*
8. Fall Out Boy (Feat. Missy Elliott) – “Ghostbusters (I’m Not Afraid)”
9. Mark Ronson, Passion Pit, & A$AP Ferg – “Get Ghost”
10. DMX – “Party Up (Up In Here)”
11. DeBarge – “Rhythm Of The Night”
12. Muddy Magnolias – “American Woman”
13. Beasts Of Mayhem – “Want Some More”
14. Ray Parker Jr. – “Ghostbusters”
* Does Not Appear In The Film
2 thoughts on “Here Is the Terrible ‘Ghostbusters’ Theme From Fall Out Boy and Missy Elliott”
I agree that the song is pretty much trash, however, must disagree that Fall Out Boy “hasn’t been relevant for a decade.” Pretty sure they had a No. 1 album in 2015 with at least two top 40 singles. And had a big hit in like 2013 or so.
Just like your taste in movies, Tyler, your taste in music is garbage. You seem to know more than someone should about Fall Out Boy.